April 26, 2010

Saturdays

Operation Hope

What comes to mind when I say Saturday? Perhaps the phrase sleeping in comes to mind. I had signed up for a Saturday Workship opportunity to serve those in need.

What is Workship?

Workship is a distinctive community service program that has been at the heart of PBA since its founding in 1968. Workship combines "work" with "worship," serving God through serving our community.

Through Workship, our students are encouraged to make a Christian response to human needs by volunteering in nonprofit agencies, churches and schools.

All full-time undergraduate students are required to serve 45 hours per year. Students may choose from PBA-sponsored group service events, or may serve individually at a non profit organization, church or school of their choice. For students, Workship is a great way to serve in the community and to show "Love in Action!"

I contemplated my upcoming commitment to Workship. My motives for not going were selfish. I wanted to sleep in and attend the annual Beach Fest event. Thankfully, I was surrounded by friends that convinced me to go. They knew we would all benefit from going.

The Workship opportunity was with Operation Hope. http://www.operationhope.org/smdev/index.php
We visited a local home and provided our very limited landscaping skills. The final product was great! I met some really great people and am looking forward to my next Workship expedition.

When we got back from Workship, the annual Beach Fest was just beginning. We grabbed our swim suits and headed for the beach!

The afternoon consisted of free sodas and chips, Italian ice, beach balls, a glorious sun, and fantastic waves. We even played limbo two different ways.


It was a great Saturday full of serving and sun!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
footer